Monday, November 30, 2009

Flu Shot - Part II...

Tonight, we had Alexander's follow-up appt for his flu shot. Judging by how the last appt went, I was a bit nervous but also sad for the little guy.

After I picked him up from school and he immediately asked if we were going to Target. I told him I needed to stop somewhere else first and his immediate response was "no, no Dr M". It AMAZED me that he remembered that is how I mentioned going to the appt last night. He didn't cry but he was whimpering & kept saying no.

I pulled up to the office and he sounded very sad with his whimpers but didn't cry. We walked inside, still no crying. We've already made a huge improvement over last appt! He let me talk to the front desk, and sit in the waiting room without crying or yelling to leave/go home.

Lee (Dr. M's wife) came in to say hi and Alexander did not cry. Then Dr. M came to get us and although Alexander held on to my arm pretty tightly, still no crying! Dr. M looked at me with surprised eyes! We get into the room and Alexander started to whimper again but not fully crying. I pointed out Dr. M's stethoscope which is also green. Then A pointed out Dr. M's mustache & glasses.

Then it was time to for this shot and this is when he started crying only because I was holding down his arms. But it was over before you knew it and Dr. M was putting on a blue band-aid and Alexander was THRILLED! Then he stood on my lap so we could get his pants back up, and he looked at Dr. M and said "thank you!" and slid down. Then he waved and said "Bye Dr M".

Dr. M was SHOCKED, reached over to give Alexander a hug & called him precious! Alexander was very polite & nice and waving to Dr. M as we were going...so hopefully next time he has to go he'll remember he wasn't scared last time.

No comments: