Thursday, August 12, 2010

Potty Incident...

One of Mommy's biggest potty training fears came true!

Tonight, Alexander was getting ready for bed & we were just finishing up book time. Before quiet time he asked to go potty, so we head downstairs. Because he's a big boy, he likes some personal time when using the bathroom (understood).

I go into the kitchen to get a drink and he's finishing up. I hear the flush and him starting to put the toilet seat down. Then I just heard the nothing and then the loudest, highest screech ever! I knew exactly what he had done & ran into the bathroom! He slammed the toilet seat down on his penis. He was standing there screaming, crying, holding onto himself.

I picked him up expecting the worst. I went to get an ice-pack telling him that everything was fine but the poor kid was in so much pain. He kept saying "ouch Mommy" which broke my heart. I was truly was waiting for there to be lots of blood & swelling. Thankfully there was neither when I went to put the doggie ice-pack on.

Here I am standing in my kitchen with Alexander sitting on the counter, and there is this ice-pack in the shape of a dog just grinning at me. Mentally, I was telling the dog to stop laughing! I took a look at his penis and again there was no blood or swelling but the entire thing was instantly purple! It looked awful.

I told him I'd give him medicine and he immediately stopped crying. I had him poke and move things to see if it hurt and he seemed to be okay, despite the bruising. He had some medicine and we went back upstairs for quiet time. He was just fine...after one last check.

I headed back downstairs and the adrenaline must have worn off because my knees gave out and I slid down three stairs....whew! He woke up the next morning upset that he peed through his pull-up but I was ecstatic! He was able to pee (obviously a lot) and it didn't hurt...he would be just fine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope everything is ok now! Did the bruising go away? If not check with your doctor.

Love, worried G'ma