Friday, November 9, 2007

Light at the end of the tunnel...

Finally there is some light coming thru the end of the tunnel!!

The tunnel named "Daylight Savings" was really causing havoc in our household. Usually with Daylight Savings in the fall, you gain an extra hour of sleep. Not the case here. Not only did we not gain the hour but we lost 2. It has been throwing Alexander's sleeping off and when his sleeping is off, so is mine. And I don't know if you know this, but I need sleep.

Once Daylight Savings took place, all hell broke loose. Alexander woke up @ 3:30am for Sunday & Monday! THREE THIRTY!! I can't function on that little amount of sleep. And I think people at work would agree. Then on Tuesday, he woke up @ 4am screaming like a banshee. He would only calm down if I sat indian-style on the floor, while holding him, in his room and rocked back & forth. I couldn't lean against his dresser or crib. I had to sit in the middle of the floor. Do you know how hard it is to maintain that position, making sure you stay awake so you don't harm your child?? VERY. I was finally able to get him calmed down @ 5:15am to the point where it was okay if I sat up in my bed so at least I could lean against the headboard and get under blankets.

Wednesday morning he woke up @ 5am so he's getting on track, slowly. I let him stay in his crib talking/babbling to himself until 5:30am. Then when I brought him in with me while Daddy took a shower, he fell back to sleep. See, he needs sleep too!

Both Thursday & Friday he's woken up @ 5:30am so it's a much more agreeable time. Now the other change he's been going through is the fact that when we get ready for bed, he would normally be asleep by the time I put him in his crib. The past week, he will have fallen asleep (complete with snoring and fully relaxed limbs) before he's gotten to his crib. The minute I put him down, he wakes up. WIDE AWAKE. I get him relaxed again but leave him in there. So he'll be in his crib awake anywhere from 10-30 minutes until he falls asleep on his own. Most times he moves around, ALOT, trying to get comfortable. Other times he'll lie there and babble on. And then there are other times where he'll play with his binky - he'll put it in and take it out of his mouth. Then he'll flip the handle back & forth.

I don't know if this is a permanent change where his "fall asleep" time is now 8p instead of 7:30pm. Guess we'll have to keep an eye on this...all I know is that I'm quite happy I can go to bed when he does tonight!

Ahhh sleep.

No comments: