Thursday, February 21, 2008

Birthday/Doctor time...

Today is my birthday (Happy Birthday to me!) and I took the day off from work...who wants to work on their birthday to have a quiet me-day! Unfortunately/Fortunately (depending on how you look at it...), Alexander got to spend my birthday with me.

Alexander came down with his virus again. It started Monday night as he was going to bed; he developed a small cough and did not have a good night sleep. Tuesday afternoon, school called me to pick him up because he had a fever of a 102*.

That night he was miserable - coughing, sweating, and genuinely unable to sleep or get comfortable. Finally I brought him in with me so he could be more up right. At one point, he was so hot that neither of us needed blankets. We took him to Dr. M yesterday morning to have him check him out. Fortunately, the RSV test came back negative so it's just a crappy cold with a fever. So he gave us a prescription for albuterol for more neb treatments which will help his breathing/wheezing and we're just to continue with the Motrin for the fever. Hopefully this doesn't last long.

While we were at the the doctor, Dan joked about getting him weighed again. Dr. M's wife went into another room and came back with a scale - yeah! The wee little lad is not even 20 lbs yet - 19lbs and 5 ounces. I have a feeling he'll be just about 20 lbs for his year checkup.

3 comments:

{Amanda} said...

happy (belated) birthday and i hope Alexander gets well soon!

Anonymous said...

WOW! If he does reach 20 lbs by 3/22 that will mean he quadrupled his birth weight! Usually, docs are happy if they triple their birth weight at 1 year!
Hope he's feeling better soon!
Hope you got a little joy on your b/d even if it was just taking pix of your favorite subject!

Love, mil

~Mel said...

You have to remember he was little when he was born. Doctors hope babies triple their birth weight because the average weight is 7-8 lbs, Alexander was under 6 lbs.

If he tripled his birth weight, he'd be 17 lbs, 12 ounces. If he quadruples it, he'll be 23 lbs 11 ounces. I don't think he'll completely quadruple it because I can't imagine him gaining 4 lbs in the next 4 weeks, so he'll be in between those two trend points.