Sunday, December 7, 2008

Photo with Santa...

Today, I took Alexander to go see Santa. I've been practicing all week by letting him play with a toy Santa. He's been bringing it all over the house, playing the music, giving it hugs & kisses. I was hoping this would allow him to not be afraid of the real deal.


We got in line (only 6th back) and met Grammie who came to share in the fun/chaos, but still had to wait an hour. He was in a great mood and walking around the mall with Grammie. He loved going up & down the escalator. Grammie got him changed in his snazzy outfit which got a lot of attention as he walked around.

Then noon arrived! Photos with Santa started at 12:05pm, and we were done by 12:23pm. When Santa arrived, Alexander was looking at him, waving & even blowing kisses. He wasn't smiling, but also wasn't completely freaked out. The line moved very quickly - and it helped that we were only 6th in line. Alexander had no problem waving and even peaking at Santa as we walked by. Then it was our turn.

Grammie tried to put Alexander on Santa and he wasn't having it. He was holding onto her for dear life! He wasn't crying yet but certainly was not happy. We tried again but nothing. I even brought the Santa toy and tried to use that - nope! We let the family behind us go to see if we could at least get something. I certainly wanted something and no matter what we would have a story.

Alexander reached for me (which is a shocker when Grammie is around). He let me get a little close but I couldn't give him to Santa or put him on the chair with Santa. So the woman suggested I sit down with Alexander. Santa was very sweet & patient. He was trying to get Alexander to laugh, a very nice Santa. What's ironic is that the grown woman who has problems with people in costumes was the one who posed in the picture...

For a split second Alexander was okay and she took the picture. Then he wanted to get up which resulted in him standing...and the whole time he's standing he is pinching my right arm incredibly hard. Santa leaned in (I leaned away) and she snapped the 2nd picture. And we're done...all that for a few moments. But we have a picture & a story...

As we were leaving, the woman said to me "but look at it this way, you look great"...but my poor son was so sad.

No comments: