Sunday, July 12, 2009

It All Came Down...

Alexander pulled a bureau down on top of himself today. It was one of the most scariest things I have experienced as a parent. Hands down.

This morning Alexander was walking around our room after lying in bed with us for a bit. He was obviously done snuggling and was ready to play. He had gone over to Dan's spare bureau and started opening drawers. I was watching him and had asked him to push the drawers back in and to be careful with his fingers. He listened and closed the drawers. He looked at me and opened another one. I asked him to close it again. Repeat. Dan & I had told him to stop and then he opened the top two drawers.

And then it was like slow-motion. He pulled the drawer a little and the whole thing started to fall down on top of him. Dan leaped over me and I screamed something to the effect of "Oh dear God". Dan caught the bureau just as it hit the floor so I think he managed to lessen the blow but everything on top crashed to the floor. I think the fact that I screamed and the glass lamp shade broke at the same time was what freaked out Alexander.

His ankle was immediately red and puffy and when I tried to touch it he cried. I did a search of him and besides his ankle he appeared to be fine - no cuts or gashes. When I asked him if he wanted to get some ice, he immediately stopped crying. This made me think that he was probably a lot better than I was. My legs were shaking. We got some ice and came back upstairs and put ice on his ankle & knee.

And for having a bureau fall on top of him, he's a pretty strong kid. He was running on his ankles soon after without as much as a flinch. He has a couple scrapes on his arm, a small mark on his ankle and just a couple of small bruises on his shoulder & forehead. He might have rebounded quickly but it certainly took Mommy a lot longer to collect herself.

Let's hope we're getting all of these "events" out of the way now...because ooh man!

No comments: