Sunday, August 12, 2007

Embarrassing Moment #1

Everyone has them as a Mom... you just hope your embarrassing moment is not that bad.

I know I'll have plenty more in the years to come, but this first one was certainly a doozy!

Here we are on our way to my Aunt Betty's funeral Saturday morning. I had given Alexander a bottle in the car on our way to make sure he was content for the services. We pulled up to the Funeral home and they had us pull up front and they would park our car for the procession to the church. I wasn't prepared for that because I was expecting to be able to have some time getting him out of the car. I rushed because I didn't want to hold them up.

We got out of the car, grabbed some things and said our hello's. I still don't think I grabbed anything for him, except for Alexander & a bottle of water for me. We are now sitting inside the funeral home while folks are paying their last respects. Alexander is standing on my legs looking around but content & happy. He's not making any sounds and I can hear my Dad's cousin comment on good the baby is.

Then it happens...the moment all Moms dread. Alexander lets out the BIGGEST and loudest burp he could possibly ever do. Now, he's a great burper and usually burps himself before I have a chance to but it's not usually loud. Well he must have saved it up because it was huge!
I instinctively put my hand over his mouth as if he was going to do it again, but by this point everyone was laughing.

I felt so bad that here it was a moment where people were praying, reflecting and saying their goodbyes and our baby BURPS like a drunken sailor. It was a burp for the books too...I'm sure there will be plenty of more moments like this in my future, but ... at a funeral???

No comments: